I’m not one for melting Shea butter or mixing liquid products with one part of this and two parts of that, no sir my life is too short! I just use products that are readily available, but I do have my favourites. At the moment I use products from KeraCare Natural Textures and As I Am Naturally. They’re made by the same company and are natural hair friendly. The As I Am range is especially good as it does not contain mineral oil, parabens, silicones or sulphates, which we all know are no good for natural hair. But I’m not completely uptight as I do use some ‘un-natural’ products; I just use what works for me 🙂
My hair regimen is very simple and consistent. I wash my hair once a week and this is what I do:
- Pre-shampo – Spritz with water, section hair, add oil and leave for 30 minutes
- Cleanse – with sulfate-free shampoo/cleanser or a conditioning Co-wash. I de-tangle with a wide tooth comb before final rinse.
- Deep Conditioner – applied sparingly to hair then covered with a plastic cap for 30 minutes. I usually go and wash the dishes 🙂
- Leave-in conditioner – after rinsing off the DC I apply a leave-in which then stops the hair from breaking when dry
- Seal in moisture – with coconut oil
- Styler then style – I use a twisting butter then proceed to twist my hair. My signature style is a flat twist updo with a twist out fringe/pompadour.